TIFFANY BEKS, MSc, TITC-CT, CFST
Modern life brings with it countless tensions, challenges, and competing demands, often leaving us feeling disconnected, inadequate, and powerless. Individual counselling offers a process that will help you explore the difficulties you encounter, how your life has been impacted, and the changes you want to see in your life. Through my compassionate, collaborative, and genuine approach, I will work with you to grow your personal strengths, skills, and resources, and find solutions that restore a sense of choice, control, and connection in your life.
“Reclaiming ourselves usually means coming to recognize and accept that we have in us both sides of everything. We are capable of fear and courage, generosity and selfishness, vulnerability and strength. These things do not cancel each other out but offer us a full range of power and response to life.”
-Rachel Naomi Remen
While my approach to counselling is strengths-based and trauma-informed, I draw from a range of therapeutic models to address the unique concerns of each client, including narrative therapy (NT), acceptance-and commitment therapy (ACT), cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), and solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT).
I have experience working with clients across the lifespan (e.g., children, adolescents, parents, young adults, and older adults) who are encountering difficulties related to anxiety, depression, trauma, grief and loss, identity, relationships, and career.
Monday: 10:00 am – 8:30 pm
For those interested in counselling, but don’t live in Calgary, I offer telephone and secure video (telepsychology) appointments to Albertans.
I hold a MSc degree in Counselling Psychology and I am currently a PhD candidate in Counselling Psychology at the University of Calgary. As part of my education, I completed supervised clinical practicums in the area of perinatal and postpartum mental health, child and adolescent mental health, individual counselling for adults, and traumatic stress. In addition, I am deeply committed to ongoing professional development in order to continually enhance and expand my psychology practice. To this end, I have completed advanced training in the following areas:
Trauma, Occupational Stress, and Compassion Fatigue – I have completed advanced training in evidence-based modalities for treating extreme stress and PTSD, as well as issues related to stress, burnout, and compassion fatigue among helping/health professionals. I also have a strong interest in working with veterans and emergency responders. I am an approved providor for the Breaking Free Foundation and Veterans Affairs Canada. For both my master’s and PhD, I have conducted research on the unique occupational context and mental health needs of military members, veterans, and their families.
- EMDR Level 1 (2022) – Sue Genest Counselling Inc
- Basic Acceleration Resolution Therapy (2021) – The Rosenzwieg Center for Rapid Recovery; Colleen Clark, MSW, RCSW, Master ART Practitioner/Trainer
- Clinical Traumatologist Certification (2021) – Clinical Traumatology Institute
- Compassion Fatigue Specialist (2021) – Clinical Traumatology Institute
- Perinatal and Parental Mental Health – As a woman who experienced perinatal challenges in the past, I know the importance of authentic support and understanding in navigating pregnancy and childbirth. As a mother of two busy kids, I also understand the coinciding stress and joy of growing a family. As such, I work with individuals experiencing perinatal challenges and reproductive loss, as well as those experiencing difficulties parenting or connecting with their young children.
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders (2021) – Postpartum Support International
- Advanced Perinatal Mental Health Psychotherapy (2021) – Postpartum Support International
College of Alberta Psychologists, 6349
LIFE OUTSIDE OF PRACTICE
When I’m not working with clients, I enjoy spending time with my husband and two young children, working on creative projects around my house, playing sports, drinking coffee with friends, and listening to music.